Engaging Stakeholders on the Future of Real Estate Regulation
On November 15, 2017, the Council held its first broadbased stakeholder engagement event, A Conversation About The Future of Real Estate Regulation in BC. Leaders and representatives from a variety of sectors joined Council members and staff of the RECBC in a morning of discussion and interaction. The event focused on finding the solutions to ensure that BC’s real estate consumers are protected, that real estate professionals have the skills and knowledge they need, and that the public can have confidence in the regulatory system.
Participants joined interactive discussions throughout the morning designed to elicit their ideas and opinions on topics such as
- the critical issues facing today’s real estate consumers and licensed real estate professionals
- trends and patterns that may affect real estate consumers and professionals in the future
- regulatory approaches that will enhance consumer protection and increase consumer confidence
Feedback from our stakeholders on these and other topics will help shape the Council’s 2018-2021 strategic plan.
What We Heard
Among the main themes from feedback we received include:
- an emphasis on increasing the Council’s communication with the industry and consumers,
- a need for strengthened professional education,
- a desire for more information to help licensees and consumers to understand the role of the Council and its disciplinary and governance processes, and
- the key importance of providing support and resources for managing brokers, to help them in their role.
Participants who completed a post-event evaluation survey indicated that:
- 90% were satisfied or very satisfied with the event,
- 91% felt that questions were relevant and brought up important points, and
- 97% would attend another RECBC stakeholder engagement event.
We are looking forward to future engagement events, to hear more from stakeholders about ways to continue the enhancement of public protection and the skills and professionalism of the real estate sector.
Watch this quick highlights video to learn more about the event and the benefits of hearing from our stakeholders.
Learn more about current and past Stakeholder Engagement opportunities.