Fee Changes in 2018
At the Real Estate Council of BC, we are committed to safeguarding the public interest in the province’s real estate industry. We are strengthening our approach to regulation and enhancing our services for both licensees and consumers. To support these changes and to ensure we continue to provide the regulatory effectiveness the public and industry members expect, the Council will be increasing some of its licensing fees.
What is happening?
We are notifying you that the licensing fees are changing. The Real Estate Council of BC has approved the following fee changes that will take effect April 1, 2018.
- Application fee increase of $40 for first-time applicants, $20 for renewal, transfer and reinstatement applicants
- Licence assessment fee increase of $100
For a full listing of all fees and changes as of April 1, 2018, please review the Licensing Fee Tables.
Why are fees changing?
Licensing fees support the direct costs of regulating the real estate industry, including licensing, brokerage audits, complaint handling, investigations and discipline. Significantly higher volumes of complaints, investigations, and disciplinary hearings are contributing to an increase in the cost of the Council’s regulatory work. The 2018 fee increase will enable the Council to:
- continue to strengthen our regulatory approach to meet the public’s expectations and fulfill our public protection mandate,
- increase the effectiveness and efficiency of our services to licensees and consumers, and
- implement the recommendations of the Independent Advisory Group.
The Council recognizes that any fee increase has an impact on licensees. We work hard to provide cost-effective services, and we will continue to look for ways to enhance efficiency.
Learn More about Licensing Fees
To find out more about what your licensing fee covers and how fees will change in April, check out these resources on the Council’s website:
If you have questions about licensing fees, contact the Council at 604-683-9664, toll-free 1-877-683-9664, or by email at [email protected].