A discipline committee of the Real Estate Council of British Columbia (the “Council”) accepted the Consent Order Proposal submitted by Michael Brendan Ireland (“Mr. Ireland”), on his own behalf and on behalf of Michael Ireland Personal Real Estate Corporation (“MI Personal Real Estate Corporation”), and found that Mr. Ireland and MI Personal Real Estate Corporation committed professional misconduct between January and April 2016 when they:
- failed to take sufficient care to ensure they were dealing with either the registered owner of the property or a person who had the legal authority to sell the property;
- failed to act in the best interests of their client the half-owner, or with reasonable care and skill, when they entered into a listing contract and putative contract, without the consent of a trustee or registered owner on title for the property;
- failed to recommend that the half-owner obtain legal or independent professional advice about the interest in the property of an “estate” for his deceased spouse; and
- advertised the property without the consent of both its owners or their authorized agent.
A discipline committee of the Council has ordered, and Mr. Ireland and MI Personal Real Estate Corporation have agreed to, the following penalties:
- a discipline penalty of $8,500;
- enforcement expenses of $1,500; and
- successful completion of the Electronic Title Searching course.
Real Estate Services Act
- 35(1)(a) [Misconduct by licensee] Read more
Real Estate Rules
Full consent order is available as a PDF.