A discipline committee of the Real Estate Council of British Columbia (the “Council”) accepted the Consent Order Proposal submitted by Karen Anne Gertzen (“Ms. Gertzen”), and found that Ms. Gertzen committed professional misconduct in relation to the sale of a property in 2014, when she:
- did not accurately disclose the nature of the representation that she was providing to the buyers;
- did not disclose to the buyers that she was also providing trading services to or on behalf of the seller; and
- did not take reasonable steps to avoid a conflict of interest by acting as the designated agent for the buyers, or in the alternative, not acting in their interests, while at the same time acting as designated agent for the seller, who was her husband.
A discipline committee of the Council has ordered, and Ms. Gertzen has agreed to, the following penalties:
- a discipline penalty of $4,000;
- enforcement expenses of $1,500; and
- successful completion of the REIC2600 Ethics in Business Practice course.
Real Estate Services Act
- 35(1)(a) [Misconduct by licensee] Read more
Real Estate Rules
Full consent order is available as a PDF.