A discipline committee of the Real Estate Council of British Columbia (the “Council”) accepted the Consent Order Proposal submitted by Cameron Fazli, and found that Mr. Fazli committed professional misconduct in the course of providing rental property management services to the owner of a rental property between May 1 and December 30, 2016 when he:
- failed to inform the owner of the rental property that the tenant(s) had inquired in August 2016 about renewing their lease, or that the tenants had moved out by December 2016 and the rental property was vacant;
- failed to act only within the scope of the authority given by the owner of the rental property when he acquiesced in the tenant(s) not paying rent for November 2016 in lieu of the return of their deposit, without instructions from the owner of the rental property; and
- failed to act with reasonable care and skill, when he allowed the tenants to apply their deposit in lieu of paying monthly rent in November 2016, without conducting a move-out inspection.
A discipline committee of the Council has ordered, and Mr. Fazli has agreed to, the following penalties:
- a discipline penalty of $2,500;
- enforcement expenses of $1,500; and
- successful completion of the Rental Property Management Remedial Education Course.
Real Estate Services Act
- 35(1)(a) [Misconduct by licensee] Read more
Real Estate Rules
Full consent order is available as a PDF.