February 16, 2018
The Superintendent of Real Estate has amended the effective date of new consumer protection rules from March 15, 2018 to June 15, 2018. In the coming weeks the Superintendent also intends to publish further proposed rules for consultation. For more information, see the Superintendent’s recent announcement to licensees. — will open in a new tab
The Real Estate Council of BC is working together with the Office of the Superintendent of Real Estate to ensure the successful implementation of new rules, and continuing to focus on the consumer protection goals that the rules are intended to achieve.
As part of our commitment to ensure you get the information you need to comply with the Superintendent’s new rules, RECBC is developing and distributing a variety of information and educational resources. Resources already available online include:
- FAQs: our advice for handling scenarios under the new Rules
- New Rules Overview: the consumer protection goals behind the Rules
- Real Advice e-newsletters: an easy-to-search online archive of weekly advice
- Videos and Presentations: short and to the point explanations of the new Rules
We will be updating these resources as necessary following the publication of the Superintendent’s proposed new rules.
Other new tools and education resources that we will be launching over the coming weeks include:
- Online New Rules Education Course: in collaboration with the Real Estate Division at UBC, we’re developing an online course for licensees covering the basics of the new Rules. Look for information about the course in upcoming issues of this e-newsletter and on our website.
- New Rules Toolkits: information and resources to help you understand how and when to use the new mandatory disclosure forms. Look for more information in upcoming issues of this e-newsletter.
- Articles and Standards Guidelines: updates to the Professional Standards Manual and Brokerage Standards Manual will include detailed information about agency and guidance for managing conflicts of interest.
- Managing Broker webinars: a monthly series of presentations giving managing brokers information and tools to use with licensees in their brokerages.
- Podcasts, videos, infographics: information in a variety of formats to help support your learning about the new rules, and to share with clients and consumers.
We are working with a consulting firm, Reichert and Associates, to review our licensing and continuing education programs for real estate licensees. As part of the review, we want to hear the thoughts and opinions of licensees. You may have recently received an email from Reichert and Associates inviting you to participate in a brief online survey.
We encourage you to participate in the survey and share your thoughts about how licensing education can be enhanced. Your responses are confidential, we will not see any individual survey results. The survey should take 5 -10 minutes to complete.
If you haven’t yet received your survey invitation, check your junk mail folder and contact Essya Nabbali, Evaluation Lead, at Reichert and Associates at [email protected] — will open in a new tab | 604-428-2478.
Published on Feb 16, 2018