Contact Us Licensee Login

English Language Proficiency Requirement


As of September 1, 2017, the Council requires students enrolled in real estate licensing courses to demonstrate their proficiency in reading, writing, speaking and listening in English by passing the Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program General test (CELPIP). The Council recognizes that strong language skills are essential for real estate practitioners.

Licensing course students must achieve a Level 7 or higher on each of the four components (reading, writing, speaking and listening) of the test before attempting a licensing examination, or be exempted from the requirement. 

Students may qualify for an exemption to the requirement by providing the UBC Sauder School of Business Real Estate Division with proof of either of the following:

  1. Graduation from a recognized university degree program at an accredited university, college or technical institute at which English is the primary language of instruction.
  2. Licensed in another jurisdiction in Canada and has satisfied that jurisdiction’s language requirements. 

For answers to common questions about the Council’s language proficiency requirement, please see the FAQ items below.


Learn More


Frequently Asked Questions


Show/Hide Answer View All Answers 


Show/Hide Answer I satisfied the Council’s previous language proficiency requirement, and I want to register for the licensing course. What should I do?

You must ensure that the UBC Sauder School of Business Real Estate Division received your course registration and documents proving that you satisfied the previous language proficiency requirement (including LPI test results, if any) on or before August 31, 2017.  

If the Real Estate Division did not receive your course registration and proof that you satisfied the language requirement by August 31, 2017, you will be required to satisfy the new English Language Proficiency Requirement before you can register to write a licensing examination.


Show/Hide AnswerI am registered in a licensing course and I satisfied the previous language proficiency requirement. Will I have to write another language test before I can take the licensing examination?

No. The change does not affect those students currently in a licensing course who have already satisfied the requirement.  

The Council’s updated English Language Proficiency Requirement applies to licensing course students who have not satisfied the language requirement by August 31, 2017. The updated requirement also applies to all students who registered for a licensing course on or after September 1, 2017.

 If you have questions that are not answered in these FAQ’s, please email [email protected]