For Immediate Release
February 22, 2016
Independent Advisory Group named
Work begins to examine real estate practices in BC
Vancouver, British Columbia – Carolyn Rogers, Chair of an independent advisory group tasked by the Real Estate Council of BC to review the Council’s handling of licensee misconduct, has named her group members and outlined some key areas of focus.
The Advisory Group will examine the ways the Council identifies and responds to licensee conduct that could pose a risk to consumers or that fails to meet the standards expected by the public. As part of its work, the group will review the licensee conduct requirements that are in place, whether those requirements are adequate, and whether they are being effectively enforced.
“I believe we have a highly qualified team with the expertise to undertake this important work. These are independent thinkers from across a broad range of public and private organizations, with a clear understanding of good governance and the public interest,” said Carolyn Rogers, Superintendent of Real Estate and CEO of the Financial Institutions Commission. “As Chair of the Advisory Group, I want to assure the public that we understand their concerns and we’re determined to provide a report that puts consumer protection first.”
“The Advisory Group members that Ms. Rogers has appointed represent a wealth of experience, knowledge, and diversity of perspectives that will be invaluable in addressing the range of issues and concerns that have been brought to the forefront in recent weeks,” said Marylou Leslie, Chair of the Real Estate Council of BC. “I would like to thank each of them for agreeing to take part.”
The Advisory Group held a first meeting on Friday, February 19, and is now finalizing comprehensive terms of reference, which will be made available to the public. They will provide an interim report to the Real Estate Council of BC by April 8, 2016 and a full report and recommendations to the Council by the end of May 2016.
The Advisory Group members named today are:
- Howard Kushner, Barrister and Solicitor, Kushner Law Group
- Don Wright, President and Chief Executive Officer, Central 1 Credit Union
- Audrey T. Ho, Commissioner, British Columbia Securities Commission
- Bruce D. Woolley Q.C., Stikeman Elliott
- Carol Geurts, Associate Broker, Century 21 Veitch Realty, Creston, BC
- Tony Gioventu, Executive Director, Condominium Home Owners’ Association of BC
- Ron Usher, General Counsel, Society of Notaries Public of British Columbia
A web page has been established with biographical information on the Advisory Group members. Key documents will be posted to the page: www.advisorygroupbc.ca.
The public can contact the Advisory Group at: .
- The Council announced the appointment of Carolyn Rogers as Chair of the independent Advisory Group on February 9, 2016.
- For information on the Advisory Group Members, visit www.advisorygroupbc.ca/members.html
- More information about the office of the Superintendent of Real Estate: www.fic.gov.bc.ca
- More information about the Real Estate Council of BC: www.recbc.ca/about/overview.html
For media inquiries:
Greg Dickson. Communications Specialist
CEO Office | Financial Institutions Commission
Marilee Peters, Communications Officer
Real Estate Council of BC